Saturday 13 June 2009

Descartes: task (and Meditations 2)


This is work for you to do this week. We miss a lesson on Monday and two on Wednesday, when I am not in, so this is for you to have completed by Thursday, and we will discuss it in the lesson.

Task: Read Descartes' first Meditation in the post below and then write a summary of it, concentrating on the three waves of doubt and how they lead into each other.

Don't worry if you find this hard. You'll have plenty of chances to understand it thoroughly. But do your best with the summary. Of course, you could discuss this between yourselves and help each other by adding posts or comments.

In Meditation 2 Descartes escapes from the hyperbolic doubt he has talked himself into and establishes his first certainty - that he exists (the cogito). Clicking on the post title above will take you to Meditations 2 - in case you'd like to check it out.

1 comment:

Claire said...

Sir, I assume this means you won't be in English either?
I've read through the first meditation once and I feel quite confident about it....I think.
I'm probably stating the obvious but does anyone agree that there are lots of bits of it that resemble topics we covered in the rationalism and empiricism section of the exam? It's very wordy but I think we can handle it!
Someone agree please?!
Claire